Sunday, April 5, 2009

Always a new view

This Friday and Saturday were quite the days. Justin and I had been planning on going to Challis to visit Justin’s aunt and uncle. Justin’s mom, brother, sister and fiancé were going to be there and the ranch is so nice. Friday we awoke to a lovely fresh layer of snow, and it kept falling most the day. It started to clear up though and was supposed to be moving south so we decided to go to Challis anyway. We were also planning on going the whole weekend but Friday Justin found out his trip was going to start Sunday afternoon instead of Monday morning. After work Friday, I rushed home, finished packing, ate dinner, filled the car, and started driving. Roads were o.k. with just a little snow here and there, but then we got to the Trail Creek pass. I don’t think I have ever been that scared before. It was steep, and of course it started snowing, then it started blowing. It got to the point that we couldn’t see. We couldn’t see the road, we couldn’t see anything. Of course in that area there are no drunk bumps to follow. At one point we even went off the road a little. I was so scared, but on the other side of the pass it started clearing up and we made it safely.
Saturday morning we had a huge breakfast with pancakes, hash browns, and bacon, home made honey syrup and catsup for weirdoes that ruin potatoes with it. After we were all full, we let our food sit for a little then headed out on a 4-wheel ride. This is where the majority of the pictures came from. We rode up the canyon to a spring. We looked around for arrowheads and cool rocks. We saw some obsidian, which isn’t native to the area. We continued on seeing some amazing rocks and views. It was very beautiful, but boy was it cold. We all got burned a little either from the sun or the wind. I noticed was that the view always changed. We would turn a corner and see an amazing view, then the road would turn again or we would go up a hill and the same landmarks would seem so different. The view was always changing, but always beautiful.



We went back home after a few hours and tried to get warm. We had a great lunch of veggies, crackers and 7 layer dip. Then out came desert. Justin and I were leaving early so we all ate desert after lunch so we could have some. We had brownies, we had angle food cake with strawberries and cool whip, and we had baked cheesecake with raspberry jam and blackberry jam. I think that was the best meal ever! We ate and ate and ate. Next thing I knew we were back on the 4-wheelers for another ride. On this ride we got to see a ton of deer! Herds of them running through the hills. We rode up and up and up till we got to the top of the old stagecoach road. I guess this is where they used to bring the mail and such before they had planes and cars and paved roads. We saw some wolf tracks too. That was a shorter ride and when we got back we went down to see the day old calf. It’s mom was away so we couldn’t get close but we did get to see a two or three day old calf. It was so cute. It’s legs were still a little wobbly and it’s mom was licking it. It was so cute. We got to pet Daisy Mae and learn all about cows. Did you know that black is a dominate trait?We went back up to the house and I played with the kitties (one really liked me earlier and was climbing all over me, but then she bit me and I hit her nose) and watched them tag the cows. I pet a horse and then it was time for dinner! After another amazing meal we got ready to go home. We were trying to get out before dark so we wouldn’t hit any animals. It was a good thing we left early because there were a lot of deer and antelope near the high way, two were ever right on the highway and we had to stop for them. We made it home safely and Justin is on an airplane on his way to Three Mile Island. I guess that means there were be another blog not to far from now. Hope you all enjoy the pictures and remember the view is always changing.

2 comments:

MAK said...

That is so meaningful and sound like you had a lot of fun!

Hokie said...

Sounds fun, looks cold. Great pictures!